Dear Prospective Cannon Athletes and Families,
Students who want to participate in Cannon Athletics at the middle school or high school level must have updated physical, concussion awareness, spirit of athletic competition, consent to treat, and consent to participate and release forms filled out by parents, athletes, and doctors. These forms, also available on the Back-to-School Center webpage, are good for the entire year and all three seasons of athletics. Our recommendation from Cannon Athletics is to get these forms filled out in June or July for participation in the upcoming academic year. Many families like to use their family doctors and that, of course, is fine. However, many health plans prevent a physical from being updated until a twelve-month period has elapsed since the most recent physical. For some athletes, this date occurs in the middle of the season, thus rendering the athlete ineligible for the time period between the date that the physical expires and the opportunity to get another physical. This is an unpleasant situation for the athlete, the family, and the team. Our suggestion is to get the physical from your doctor in the summer.
Thank you for your cooperation in handling your athlete's eligibility well in advance, and we look forward to seeing you on the fields, courts, tracks, and courses soon.
*Summer workouts for S&C will begin June 6, Monday-Thursday each week of the summer (except for the 4th of July week)
FALL SPORTS START DATES (updated 6/20/2022):
Varsity & JV Sports
- Football – August 1 (including JV 9th graders) - 4:00pm - 6:45pm on the turf
- Volleyball – August 1 - 1:00pm - 3:00pm in Boswell Gym
- Girls Golf (Grade 7th-12th) – August 9 - 4:00pm - 6:00pm at River Run Golf Course
- Cheer – July 27, 28, 29 - 12:00pm - 2:00pm in the Hill Grimmett
- Boys Soccer – August 1 - 3:30pm - 5:00pm
- Girls Tennis – Week of August 1 Hit Around 9:00am - 11:00am (Varsity only, JV will begin August 8)
- Cross Country Boys and Girls – August 8 - 7:00am - 9:00am on the practice field
Middle School Sports – August 8 (including 7th and 8th grade JV Football) (THIS INCLUDES Middle School Girls Golf)
- Football – August 8 (7th and 8th graders) - 3:30pm - 5:45pm on the turf
- Volleyball – August 8 - 2:00pm - 4:00pm in Boswell Gym
- Boys Soccer - August 8th - 2:30pm - 4:00pm Front Field
- Cross Country Boys and Girls - August 18 - 2:30pm - 4:00pm
- Girls Tennis - August 15 - 2:30pm - 4:00pm on the tennis courts
WINTER START DATES:
- All Upper School sports begin on October 31
- MS sports begin October 24
SPRING START DATES:
- All Upper School sports begin on February 13
- MS Sports begin February 6 (we will NOT have MS Girls golf in the spring, moving forward)
ATHLETIC TRAINER NOTES
- ALL Athletic Compliance Paperwork for 2022-2023 school year is to be turned in via Magnus and for fall sports, and has a deadline of July 29, 2022.
- If there are issues with uploading through the app, use a computer and go through the website or email forms to email@example.com.
- Injuries need to be communicated to the Athletic trainers and, if seen by a doctor, a note needs to be provided stating the diagnosis and parameters of what the athletic can and cannot do.
- ImPACT Concussion Tests need to be completed by the 7th graders, and any athlete that has never participated or taken the online concussion test. Instructions will be sent to coaches that can be passed along to parents and athletes. For ALL Fall Athletes this will have a deadline of Aug 15, 2022.
- Please have all athletes bring water bottles to practice/games everyday.
Cannon's Strength and Conditioning program focuses on four key areas: injury prevention, sports performance, self-confidence, and fitness for life.
Athletic trainers specialize in the management, prevention, and recovery of injured athletes.
Upcoming tryout and practice dates, as well as required athletic forms, may be found here.
Team schedules, details, rosters, and scores are available on Team Pages.
Cannon’s athletic facilities include the Randy Marion Field House, the Andrews Strength and Conditioning Center, Hill Grimmett Multipurpose Athletic Center, and more.