Cannon’s athletic facilities include the Randy Marion Field House, the Andrews Strength and Conditioning Center, Hill Grimmett Multipurpose Athletic Center, an auxiliary gym that is used for practices and PE classes, a main gym for indoor competitions, two outdoor practice fields, a soccer field, baseball and softball fields, six tennis courts, an eight-lane track, and a lighted, synthetic turf competition field (for soccer, lacrosse, and football games).
The 4,100 square-foot Andrews Strength and Conditioning Center is a state-of-the-art center designed to enhance physical education of students in all grades—from junior kindergarteners learning coordination to varsity football players preparing for a Friday night game.
- A full-time Strength and Conditioning Head Coach and an Assistant Coach. Read about them on the Strength and Conditioning webpage.
- The first floor includes eight fully-equipped strength stations. These feature Legend Fitness racks with benches, 90 lb. PowerBlock dumbbells, and 6, 8 and 10 lb. medicine balls and bands. There are also sixteen 45-lb. lifting bars and four 25-lb. lifting bars, eight kettle bell handles, four sets of plyo boxes, and ten sets of Jungle Gym XT suspension trainers.
- The second floor features four spin cycles, two treadmills, and two rowing machines for rehabilitation, conditioning, and low-impact cardio work.
The 4,800 square-foot Randy Marion Family Field House was made possible by a leadership gift from Betty and Randy Marion Sr. in honor of their grandchildren.
- A press box which includes three booths for calling, videoing, and scoring games on the field.
- A 300 square-foot concession stand which includes supply storage, coolers, sinks, and ice machines.
- Conference room.
- Women's and men's restrooms, family room, and official changing room.
Renovated athletic locker spaces and coaches' offices round out the athletic facility upgrade. The new locker room facility can host all visiting football and basketball teams as well as any North Carolina Independent Schools Athletic Association championship events. The facility boasts:
- Seven new team locker room spaces
- Two Middle School physical education locker room spaces
- Two locker rooms for coaches and officials
- Four physical education faculty offices
- Athletic equipment/uniform storage
The Hill Grimmett Multi-purpose Athletic Center is a flexible 5,000 square-foot facility which provides space for many teams and activities, including:
- Cannon wrestling
- Middle School recess
- Cheerleading practice
- Batting cages and pitching spaces
- Turf speed and agility training
- Sports practices in inclement weather
Auxiliary Gym is mainly used for practices, PE classes, and occasionally basketball games.
Boswell Gym/Hoffman Riley Court is the main gym for basketball games and other indoor events. In January of 2019, the basketball court in Boswell Gym was named in honor of faculty members and announcers Mr. Mike Hoffman and the late Mr. John Riley.
Lower Practice Field 1 is located to the left and beyond the track behind the Upper School building.
Lower Practice Field 2 is located beyond the track on the right hand side, next to the tennis courts.
Randy Marion Field is the athletic field located inside the track behind the Upper School building. This field is used for a variety of events including soccer, lacrosse, football, and track and field meets.
Soccer Field is located at the front entrance to Cannon School. Some varsity and most Middle School soccer games are played on this field.
Snyder Field (baseball) is located behind the School beyond Lower Practice Field 2 and adjacent to the softball field. Parking is available by the field.
Softball Field is located behind the School beyond Lower Practice Field 2 and adjacent to the baseball field. Parking is available by the baseball field.
Tennis Courts are located behind the Upper School building.
Tysinger Family Track is the eight lane track is located behind the Upper School building and surrounds the football field.
Cannon's Strength and Conditioning program focuses on four key areas: injury prevention, sports performance, self-confidence, and fitness for life.
Athletic trainers specialize in the management, prevention, and recovery of injured athletes.
Upcoming tryout and practice dates, as well as required athletic forms, may be found here.
Team schedules, details, rosters, and scores are available on Team Pages.
Cannon’s athletic facilities include the Randy Marion Field House, the Andrews Strength and Conditioning Center, Hill Grimmett Multipurpose Athletic Center, and more.