The mission of Academic Coaching at Cannon (ACC) is to support student growth and the development of lifelong learning strategies through intentional, focused programming that aims to improve overall academic standing.
ACC is available during the school day to all Cannon Upper School students. Our coaches use a student-centered approach to cultivate a student’s ability to set goals, be accountable, manage time, organize, employ study skills, and become a self-advocate.
Imperative to a student's success in the Academic Coaching at Cannon program is a willingness to engage fully with all available resources and learning opportunities. This coaching model encourages the individual student to drive aspects of their ACC experience and empowers them to take ownership of their learning.
At Cannon School, our Academic Coaches work in a relational 1:1 environment with students during each coaching session to build and strengthen executive functioning (EF) skills. These include: planning, organization, task initiation, flexibility, attention, self-control, metacognition, and more.
Our academic coaching sessions are customized based on identified areas of greatest need for each student, following an initial conversation between coach and student.
As a student develops and adds to their “EF toolbox,” they begin applying those skills to maximize their potential in every subject area. For good habits to stick, a minimum of three sessions is recommended. Students schedule their appointments at convenient times via a shared online calendar.
- Executive Function & Self-Regulation, Harvard University, Center on the Developing Child
- What is Executive Function?, Understood
- What’s Executive Function - And Why Does It Matter?, Edutopia
- Self-Management Skills for High School Students, Beyond BookSmart
- Smart but Scattered Teens: The “Executive Skills” Program for Helping Teens Reach Their Potential by Richard Guare, PhD; Peg Dawson, EdD; Colin Guare
- Thinking Differently: An Inspiring Guide for Children with Learning Differences by David Flink
Explore the Upper School curriculum and Student Life to see why you belong here.
Winterm is a transformative and innovative one-week learning opportunity for Upper School students.
Explore the program highlights of Cannon's College Counseling Program.
Learn about Cannon's unique Student Life program.
Student-athletes are fortunate to play for coaches who are well-respected within our conference as well as across the state.