Head Volleyball Coach
The Cannon School Athletics Department is seeking a head coach for girls' varsity volleyball, a position that also includes the title of Director of Girls' Volleyball. Successful candidates must have experience playing and coaching at the collegiate or high school level. They must also have strong leadership, organizational, communication, and collaborative skills. The girls' volleyball season is a fall sport with a Middle School, junior varsity, and varsity team. A college degree (in any field) is also required.
Middle School History Teacher (Full-time starting Fall 2014)
At Cannon, we strive to inspire civic-minded global citizens. We challenge students to think critically and respectfully engage with differing perspectives, preparing them to become adaptive experts in an ever-changing world. Middle School history is centered around the broad topics of geography and ancient, medieval, and American history. These time-periods are used to teach essential skills in understanding history. Each learning unit is centered around an essential question, and is approached as a fact-finding mission to answer that question. At all levels, students are introduced to primary sources. They gain an understanding of their value in learning about the past, and learn to make connections to what is happening in the world today. The strategies of a historian, including sourcing, contextualizing, close reading, and corroboration, are important in every history classroom, and are conscientiously taught at the appropriate level of understanding for each grade.
- Passionate about working with Middle School students, has a proven ability to challenge and motivate students and experience using the methods stated aboveHas the ability to create a classroom environment that allows each child to reach their full potential
- Thrives in an environment that is student-centered, interactive, adaptive, and interdisciplinary
- Uses a variety of tools in both instruction and assessmentIs capable of integrating technology into the curriculum
- Possesses a strong sense of personal accountability for student achievement and an unshakeable conviction that all students can learn at a high level
- Has a minimum of three years of classroom experience, Bachelor's degree in history or social studies and a Master’s degree preferred
Middle School Math Teacher
Cannon School seeks a full-time Middle School Mathematics Teacher who will teach four sections of mathematics for the 2014-2015 school year. The teacher will seek to develop interdisciplinary projects with other members of the core grade-level faculty, serve on the grade-level curricular team, and subsequently as an advisor. The ideal candidate will actively participate in the life of the School outside of the classroom and perform other non-teaching duties as assigned.
Requirements: Cannon School seeks an enthusiastic and creative individual committed to adolescent education. Candidates must possess demonstrated competence and experience in the content area and pedagogy for Middle School. A Master’s degree in mathematics or a related field and a minimum of five years of successful teaching experience are preferred. Qualified candidates should be able to teach all levels of Middle School mathematics, including Algebra I and Geometry. Candidates should demonstrate flexibility, energy, enthusiasm, high expectations of themselves and their students, and an understanding of the developmental needs of Middle School students. Ability and interest in coaching at any level is a plus, but not required.
Upper School Media Arts Teacher (Starting Fall 2014)
We are seeking a Media Arts Teacher to begin in the Fall 2014. The ideal candidate will have industry experience as well as teaching experience. Such a candidate will also be highly organized, detail-oriented, and able to relate well with students and faculty alike. Cannon faculty are assigned a variety of duties that including advising students, leading extra-curricular activities, attending faculty meetings, etc.
Requirements: A Bachelor's degree or Master's degree in fine arts with specialization in integrated digital media, media arts and technology, motion media design, or design media arts. Experience in filmmaking, game design, animation, and/or graphic design are desirable.
Lower School Teacher
We are currently seeking candidates for the 2014-2015 school year. The full-time Lower School Teacher will instruct students in reading and reading strategies, writing, vocabulary, grammar, spelling, math, and social studies, while creating a positive, engaging, and nurturing environment for learning. The ideal candidate will have experience teaching in the elementary classroom; a natural aptitude for cultivating relationships with students and families; knowledge of differentiated instruction; and will also be flexible, collaborative, a team player, knowledgeable of child development, a lifelong learner, and possess a true love and passion for young children and their educational success. This candidate will also possess the qualities inherent in our core values of courage, teamwork, respect, integrity, passion, and kindness.
Requirements: A Bachelor’s degree in elementary education or a related educational field. At least two years experience in an elementary classroom
Physical Education Teacher
Cannon School seeks a full-time Physical Education Teacher for the 2014-2015 school year. This position is responsible for motivating and teaching students in the area of physical development. This teacher will provide instruction to both the Lower School and Middle School that is age appropriate and ensures the safety of the students. The ideal candidate will actively participate in the life of the School outside the classroom, which includes coaching a minimum of two seasons and performing other non-teaching duties as assigned.
Requirements: Candidates must possess demonstrated competence and experience in the area of physical education and coaching. A Bachelor’s degree is required and two to four years of teaching experience is preferred.
Upper School English Teacher
We are currently seeking candidates for our full time Upper School English Teacher position for the 2014-2015 school year. Our ideal candidate is experienced at teaching a range of high school English courses. This teacher may also be asked to serve as advisor for 10-12 students, or to take on other limited duties outside the classroom. Interest in coaching or other extra-curricular activities is a definite plus.
Requirements: Bachelor’s degree and teaching experience required; Master's degree and several years of teaching experience preferred.
Assistant Director of Facilities
We are excited to offer a new position of Assistant Director of Facilities. This position is responsible for providing support to the Director of Facilities and supporting overall school operations in such a manner as to provide a safe, efficient, effective, and up-to-date facilities.
This position is responsible for:
- Prioritizing, managing, and completing responses to all facility work orders originating from building users in a timely manner.
- Scheduling preventive maintenance, as well as predictive maintenance for all school equipment and building components/systems.
- Maintaining and updating the School’s preventive maintenance system.
- Selecting, planning, and overseeing the work of skilled trade’s employees such as electrical, plumbing, mechanical, and HVAC, in the operation of maintenance and repair of school equipment/systems.
- Coordinating school event set-ups and breakdowns – i.e. organizing chairs, tables, props, and sound system, and moving of equipment and or furniture as it relates to the event.
- Coordinating and communicating with employees, parent groups, and students in a professional manner to effectively complete all special jobs/projects as needed.
- Ensuring compliance with all local, state, and federal health and safety regulations.
- Operating the School’s security system, including the video cameras and electronic access system.
- High school diploma required, Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Minimum of ten year’s experience in the facilities or maintenance area
- Knowledge of the principles and best practices involved with the operation and construction of plant maintenance
- Flexible, results-oriented, self-starter
- Able to manage multiple tasks and priorities simultaneously
- Effective problem solving and analytical ability
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills and ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Working knowledge of OSHA and local safety regulations
Middle School World Languages Teacher
We are seeking a creative teacher for French and Spanish for grades 5-8 for the 2014-2015 school year. Successful candidates will have personal skills to work flexibly and adaptably with students within this age range. The French and Spanish teacher is a member of the Middle School World Languages team and reports to the Head of Middle School. The curriculum for these classes offers both structure and freedom for the teacher. Outside of world languages teaching responsibilities, the teacher will also be asked to be an advisor to approximately ten students, serving as a personal advocate and check-in point for that group of students every day throughout the school year. After school activities such as coaching or sponsoring a club are also encouraged. Cannon School welcomes candidates of diverse backgrounds.
Qualifications: Bachelor's degree minimum. A Master's degree and a minimum of three years of teaching Spanish and French as a second language preferred. Candidate must be able to teach in both French and Spanish at any of the Middle School grade levels. The School is eager to accept applications from traditionally under-represented groups. The ideal candidate will be:
- fluent in French and Spanish
- proficient in second-language pedagogy
- a student-centered educator
- enthusiastic and engaging to students of this age
- interested in students’ ethical and intellectual development
- a person who believes in and supports diversity in the life of a school
Upper School Math Teacher (Starting Fall 2014)
Our ideal candidate is experienced in Geometry and Algebra II/Trigonometry and has the ability to teach a range of other Upper School math courses. Additional responsibilities outside of the classroom may include being an advisor to approximately twelve students, coaching an after-school sport, sponsoring a club, etc. This is full-time position for the 2014-2015 school year.
A Bachelor’s degree and teaching experience are required. Master’s degree and several years of teaching experience preferred.